With over 3000 materials known to contain asbestos in Australia, a significant percentage of Australian properties contain asbestos. An asbestos audit will ensure that the property is thoroughly examined for the presence of asbestos. If asbestos is discovered onsite, its recorded and forms part of the asbestos register which is kept on-site for workers and contractors to ensure the safe management of asbestos. Workplaces that operate within buildings built prior to 2003, where the presence of asbestos is unknown, suspected, or has previously been identified, has legal obligations that the performance of an asbestos audit will satisfy.Following the completion of the asbestos audit, a report will be prepared which will facilitate the communication of the type and location of asbestos and other hazardous materials to employees and other affected parties. Our audits will also detail the risks associated with disturbing the hazardous material. In addition to this, we will also assess the approximate quantity of asbestos found which will assist calculating removal costs.
What Type Of Asbestos Audit?
There are two types of asbestos audits commonly carried out in Australia:
- Division 5 Asbestos Audit: Wherever there is asbestos or the presence of asbestos is suspected in a workplace, an asbestos audit is mandatorily required to determine the type, location, condition and friability of asbestos containing materials present onsite.
- Division 6 Asbestos Audit or Part 6 Hazardous Materials Audit: Any workplace or commercial property undergoing demolition or refurbishment works must carry out a division 6 asbestos audit prior to carrying out the work.
What Is Included In An Asbestos Audit?
Depending of the type of audit carried out, the report will include items such as:
- Recommendations regarding the abatement actions taken;
- Airborne monitoring arrangements (where required);
- Responsibilities and accountabilities of key staff in the implementation of the plan;
- Procedures for reviewing and updating the plan;
- Develop an asbestos management plan;
- Develop an asbestos register;
- Remove or eliminate the risk of ACM;
- Investigate and re-inspect when ACM is disturbed or planned works are scheduled; and
- Implement control measures.
Other Asbestos & Hazardous Material Services We Offer Include: