Workplaces have a legal duty to identify asbestos within the workplace, its plant or equipment and an asbestos management plan or policy is mandatorily required where asbestos has been identified. An asbestos management plan will enable persons in control of a workplace to safely manage asbestos. A management plan will also facilitate the implementation of control measures or elimination of asbestos health risks entirely to ensure the health of workers are not affected.Our team has many years experience and extensive experience in the management of asbestos, inspections and reporting. We recognise that such sensitive information is important to your organisation and we assist in managing your staff and the public’s perception throughout the work to ensure there is no negative impact on your business.We build asbestos management plans specific to the site and is representative of the current condition of asbestos containing material (ACM) located. Our asbestos management plans will outline critical information related to periodic inspections and surveys and include procedures for asbestos removal and for maintenance or service work that is likely to disturb the asbestos.
What’s Included In An Asbestos Management Plan?
- The identification of asbestos and ACM, for example a reference or link to the Asbestos Register for the workplace, and the locations of signs and labels.
- Decisions and reasoning with respect to the management of asbestos at the workplace, for example safe work procedures and control measures.
- Responsibilities and accountabilities of key staff in the implementation of the plan;
- Procedures for detailing asbestos related accidents, incidents or emergencies at the workplace, for workers carrying out work involving asbestos and for consultation, information and training responsibilities.
- An outline of how asbestos risks will be controlled, including considerations to the appropriate control measures.
- A timetable for managing exposure risks, for example priorities and dates for any reviews, circumstances and activities that could affect the timing of action.
- Identification of each person with responsibilities under the Asbestos Management Plan, including their responsibilities and obligatory procedures, including a timetable for reviewing.
- Revision of the Asbestos Management Plan and Asbestos Register and air monitoring procedures at the workplace, if required.
- Procedures for reviewing and updating the plan.
Asbestos Management Plan Benefits
The benefit of having an asbestos management plan in place is that a workplace can effectively manage asbestos and the associated risks of exposure in the workplace. A management plan will ensure that the necessary control measures are in place as well as having appropriate and working procedures for managing asbestos related accidents, incidents or emergencies.An asbestos management plan can also be supplied to contractors prior to commencing works so that risks associated with the asbestos still in situ. Processes can also be put in place to manage contractors by ensuring they sign off that they have properly viewed the register and understand how to proceed.
Ongoing Asbestos Management Plan Obligations
Under the Work Health & Safety Regulations; workplaces are required to have an asbestos management plan in place, not just an asbestos audit or register. Workplaces must also ensure that their employees are not exposed to airborne asbestos fibres above the exposure standard, which is 0.01ml/fibre. The ultimate goal for workplaces to be free from asbestos containing materials. Where reasonably practicable, asbestos should be removed prior to renovation, refurbishment, maintenance or demolition rather than implementing more control measures. The frequency of ongoing asbestos inspections will reflect the particulars outlined in the existing management plan or when triggered by a significant disturbance of the asbestos containing material. In lieu of this, a five yearly review of the asbestos register will be recommended.
Other Asbestos & Hazardous Material Services We Offer Include: