Having questions that not on the list? Send us a message!

Mould, also known as fungi, is part of a group of very common organisms which include mushrooms and yeast. It is everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors it grows naturally depending on weather conditions. Mould can also grow indoors and especially in areas that are wet or moist, lacking adequate ventilation, including walls/ wallpaper, ceilings, bathroom tiles, carpets (especially those with jute backing), insulation material and wood. If moisture accumulates in a building mould growth will often occur. Many different types of mould exist and all have the potential to cause health problems.

If for any reason you believe the air quality in your environment has changed in some way and you feel it negatively affecting your health or comfort, then you should seek our an indoor air quality test. Below are triggers for a call to action:

  • Bad odour or ‘musty’ smell in the air
  • Poor concentration levels
  • Complaints of headaches and nausea
  • Complaints of breathing issues
  • Skin irritation or rashes

There are currently no guidelines, legislation or regulatory obligations around the management or control of mould in a workplace. This is not to say that the employer is exempt from their duty of care to ensure that a safe working environment is maintained for workers. It is important to understand that mould problems left untreated can have a significant effect on the indoor environment and impact human comfort which can negatively affect your business.

Before just taking any restoration contractors advice, it is important to seek out an assessment by a qualified and competent person with the right knowledge and technology to provide a practical, long term solution.

Not all mould is dangerous. There are only certain species that have lethal mycotoxins that can be harmful to people. If you suspect you have a severe mould problem that could be a risk to the health of the occupants of the property, you should then seek professional advice.